Morgan Sindall plc on site at £5 million Udston Primary School and First Step Community Nursery in Hamilton
Morgan Sindall plc has started work to extend the facilities at Udston Primary School in Hamilton, South Lanarkshire and has also commenced the project to provide a replacement First Step Community Nursery adjacent to Udston Primary School.
These projects are part of South Lanarkshire Council’s Primary Schools Modernisation Programme, which launched in 2006 with the ambitious plan of renewing every primary school and nursery centre in the council’s control.
Appointed to the £850 million framework in its first phase in 2006, Morgan Sindall has subsequently delivered a total of 13 schools in the first tranche, has handed over five in phase two with a further four currently on-site. Udston Primary is the final school to start on site from Morgan Sindall’s allocation.
The two Thornhill Road projects have a total value of £4.95 million. The school will be extended whilst the staff and pupils remain in the existing school building during the construction period.
The new 428 square metre single-storey timber-framed extension will deliver three new classrooms, a general purpose room, offices and pupil toilets. Attached to the existing building, the extension’s external walls will be clad with facing brick, metal cladding and curtain walling to match the materials of the existing school building, which is being retained.
The 800 square metre First Step Nursery is a single-storey timber-framed building which will provide playrooms, sensory areas and other facilities for pre-school children.
Harry Thorburn, managing director of Morgan Sindall in Scotland, said: “During the delivery of both phases of this framework we have helped South Lanarkshire Council completely renew the learning environments of the region’s youngsters.
“Our team is incredibly proud of its record of delivery and the buildings which we have handed over.
“As we start on the final school of our framework agreement, we remain committed to maintaining this focus and continuing to deliver for the customer and pupils of South Lanarkshire.”
The extension of Udston Primary School is expected to be complete and handed over in September this year while the First Step Community Nursery will be complete in the spring of 2016.
The complete list of schools Morgan Sindall has responsibility for under phases one and two of the framework are as follows:
Name of School Location Completion
First phase 2006 – 2011
1. Craigbank Primary School Larkhall June 2008
2. Hallside Primary School Cabuslang January 2009
3. St Ninians Primary School Hamilton July 2009
4. Douglas Primary School Douglas June 2011
5. Robert Smillie Primary School Larkhall December 2010
6. St Marys Primary School Hamilton May 2011
7. Woodpark Primary School Lesmahagow May 2010
8. Dalserrf Primary School Ashgill March 2011
9. Milton Primary School Lesmahagow March 2012
10. Udston Primary School Hamilton November 2010
11. Bent Primary School Boghead March 2012
12. Blackwood Primary School Kirkmuirhill October 2012
13. St Marys Primary School Lanark May 2012
Second phase 2011 – 2015/16
Name of School Location Completion
1. Carstairs Junction Primary School Carstairs December 2013
2. Carstairs Village Primary School Carstairs February 2014
3. Forth Primary School Forth April 2014
4. Woodside Primary School Hamilton April 2015
5. Carnwath Primary School Carnwath May 2015
6. Biggar Primary School Biggar July 2015
7. Braidwood Primary School Lower Braidwood August 2015
8. Machanhill Primary School Larkhall November 2015
9. Udston Primary School (Extension) Hamilton September 2015
10. First Step Community Nursery Hamilton March 2016
- For more information please contact Steve Sanders at Influential – firstname.lastname@example.org or 0151 239 5000 / 07827 892 673